Sunday, May 14, 2006

National Archives Response to US Embassy Staff in Lisbon Email Query

The following is an edited e-mail response I received (April 18, 2006) from the National Archives in regards to a query I sent (April 15, 2006) regarding the identities of US employees at the US Legation in Lisbon, Portugal (1943):

"If we knew details (names of crew, date, air group, etc) we might be able to locate relevant documentation."

TKNenninger
Chief
Modern Military Records

The actual query was:

Re: Records created by Federal non-military agencies

I will be visiting the Archives (II) for a second time, sometime this summer. I would like to locate records regarding the Military Liasion Office of the US Embassy/Legation in Lisbon, Portugal for the month of August 1943.

I am hoping you can direct me to the proper records group. I am looking for a list of officers and events surrounding the interrogation of an American Allied aircrew in August of 1943 by the MLO staff.

------

Comments:

Of particular interest is the full identity and nationality of Col. Pons. Col. Pons' name appears on a handwritten document that was found at the Archives, it indicates that 1LT Stamos was interrogated by Pons in Lisbon. The questions are: Was Pons working for the U.S. authorities? Or was a member of the Portugese military?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home